Financial Aid FAQ

What is United States University’s federal school code?
Our school code is 040053-00

What if I did not originally list United States University on my FAFSA?
You can go online to or contact the Central Processor (1-800-4FEDAID or 1-800-433-3243) to request a duplicate SAR (Student Aid Report) be sent to United States University (school code 040053).

When do I apply for financial aid?
As soon as possible. Deadlines vary according to the type of award offered. Students who submit required documents by the deadlines published in the financial aid application materials will receive priority consideration for all available funds.

What is the maximum amount of financial aid I may receive?
The Financial Aid Office packages various forms of financial aid for which the student is eligible. While the amount of aid may vary depending on financial need and availability of funding, awards for undergraduate and graduate students may be made up from the following sources up to these annual maximums:

Undergraduate Maximum Aid Awards by Source

Pell $6,195
SEOG $220
Direct Loan – Subsidized $5,500*
Direct Loan – Unsubsidized $7,000*
PLUS Direct (Parent Loan)**

* Amounts vary depending on grade level

**Parents may borrow up to the student’s cost of attendance minus other financial aid the student is offered. These loans are credit-based.

Graduate Maximum Aid Awards by Source

Direct Loan – Unsubsidized $20,500
PLUS (Graduate Loan)*

* Graduate students may borrow up to the student’s cost of attendance minus other financial aid the student is offered. These loans are credit-based.

What is Verification?

Verification is a process, initiated by the U.S. Department of Education or by the Financial Aid Office, requiring you to verify the information that you provided on the FAFSA. You are then required to submit tax transcripts from the IRS and any other required documents to the Financial Aid Office.

If your application is selected for verification, you will not be eligible for federal aid until this process is completed.

About 30% of all financial aid applicants at US University are selected at random each year for verification when their application is processed. Other students are selected due to discrepancies or missing information on their application, after file review by the Financial Aid Office, or after your request for consideration of special/unusual circumstances.

The following items must be submitted if your application is selected for verification: A signed copy of your (and your spouse’s, if married) prior year transcripts and/or a signed copy of your parent’s prior year federal income tax transcripts (for students who were required to provide parent financial information on the FAFSA). A completed Verification Worksheet.

Other supporting documents that may be requested:

  • Child support
  • Immigration
  • Social Security
  • Birth Certificate(s)
  • Divorce/Separation
  • Social Security Card (must have correct, current name)
  • Veteran’s benefits
  • Money paid on your behalf
  • Other sources of income

To avoid unnecessary delays, please submit all required documents promptly. Also, be sure you have filled out the Verification Worksheet completely, and that all documents are signed by the appropriate parties. Documents with blanks and missing signatures will be returned.

How will I know what types of aid I will be receiving?
Once the Financial Aid office has reviewed and verified (if needed) your application and received any additional information requested, you will receive an Award Letter from the Financial Aid Office. This will detail all aid for which you are eligible (grants, loans, scholarships) for the award year or which typically four sessions, or two semesters.

How do I accept my award?
To accept your award you do not need to do anything.  You may decline or reduce your aid on your Award Letter by writing out the adjustments and then sign and return it to the US University Financial Aid Office. You can drop the form off at the Financial Aid Office in Chula Vista or return them through fax or email:


Or fax it to the US University Financial Aid Office at: (888) 500-1922.

Since financial aid may not cover my entire living and educational costs, what else can I do?
Keep in mind that the purpose of financial aid is to bridge the gap between educational cost and a student’s resources; it is not intended to directly provide money for living expenses. To cover these costs, many of our students apply for scholarships and seek employment, as well as look at ways to reduce living expenses by sharing a place with relatives or friends.

What is the Cost of Attendance?
The average annual costs determined to be necessary to attend US University include tuition, books, fees, room and board, transportation, etc. and are subject to change annually.

The US University 2015-2016 Student Expense Budgets are based on the California Student Aid Commission and are based upon average expenses reported by students at the University of California, California State University, California independent institutions, and California Community Colleges in the 2006-2007 Student Expense and Resources Survey (SEARS), adjusted for seven years of inflation or deflation.

How is my Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determined?
The EFC formula applied to your information is determined by the federal government based on your FAFSA application. It considers the income and assets that you have (and that of your spouse if married, parent if dependent), number in household, number in college, and your state of legal residence.

Why can’t you tell my spouse, parents, or outside agencies what kind of aid I have been awarded?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also known as the Buckley Amendment) limits access to educational records without expressed written consent. If you wish to have someone else speak to us on your behalf, you will need to submit a signed authorization form.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?
Yes. However, once you have filed a FAFSA, you may be able to file a Renewal FAFSA the next year. It will not be nearly as complicated the second, third, or fourth time around.

What is an Entrance or Exit Interview?

An Entrance or Exit interview or loan counseling session is required before your federal loans are initially disbursed and after you cease being enrolled as a half-time student.