Chat with us, powered by LiveChat LiveChat

International student policies

  • Students are required to attend the International Student Orientation held at the beginning of their first semester.
  • Students are strongly recommended to have health insurance coverage for the duration of their program.
  • Students must enroll in and complete a minimum of 12 units (Undergraduate) or 9 Units (Graduate) at the university each semester with satisfactory grades or be subject to dismissal.
  • Undergraduate students are scheduled for 12 units each semester, students who wish to register for more than 12 credits per semester must obtain approval from the College Dean. Students must be in good academic standing and must have at least a 2.5 GPA for the session completed prior to the session the increased course load is being requested.  (Schedule permitting)
  • Graduate students are not currently permitted to take more than 9 units per semester.
  • Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0-C or better (Undergraduate) 3.0 B or Better (Graduate) to remain in good standing.  I am subject to academic dismissal if I remain on probation for two consecutive semesters.
  • Graduate and Undergraduate students will be registered into 1 online course per semester.
  • An F-1 Student at an academic institution is considered to be in status during vacation.  An F-1 student at United States University (USU) is eligible for vacation after they have completed one full academic year.  The definition of an academic year is defined as 32 weeks and at least 24 completed credits for undergraduate students, or 32 weeks and a minimum of 18 completed credits for a graduate student.  Vacations are limited to one 8 week session per year after the completion of at least one academic year.  Students may request a vacation for up to two 8 week sessions if the University schedule permits.  Vacations are not mandatory and students may continue to attend year round.
  • Vacations must be requested 1 semester in advance.
  • Students must notify the International Student Services Office of any changes in my status including, but not limited to, changing my address or phone number, transferring to another college, or returning to my home country permanently.  Failure to do so will threaten my student status.
  • Students requesting a transfer to another college or University must be current on their financial obligations to USU and will be required to pay the published transfer fee prior to having their records released.
  • Students must submit the full semester’s tuition and fees, in full, prior to the first day of the Semester.
    • There are no deferments of payments, installment plans or payment plans for tuition or fees.
    • In order to register each semester, all international students must pay the semester’s tuition and fees before the beginning of the semester.
    • If a student wishes to add an extra course in any given semester, they must pay the tuition for the extra course prior to the start of the course.
  • Visas may be terminated for students who fail to pay their tuition and fees prior to the first day of class or the first day of each semester.


How to arrange an absence or departure from USU