Oversees academic programs, faculty affairs and academic support functions at United States University (“USU”). Develops and supports academic policies and programs for student success and meeting student educational goals. Directs and coordinates activities of academic leaders and collaborates with cross-functional departments/teams.
- Direct, administer, and supervise the planning, organization and coordination of instructional programs;
- Direct, administer, and supervise the planning, organization and coordination of student services including academic advising, Office of the Registrar, and student records;
- Provide and oversee strategic leadership and oversight of academic programs and student services, budget and strategic planning;
- Create, implement and provide leadership to institutional policies and procedures related to academics, assessment, curriculum, learning, and teaching to assure high academic standards;
- Create, implement and provide leadership to institutional policies and procedures related to student services, institutional catalog policies and procedures, scheduling and registration, and integrity of student records and transcripts to assure high student service and satisfaction standards;
- Ensure adherence to accreditation and licensure requirements and lead the process of preparing specialized accreditation/licensure materials and managing the site visit processes;
- Ensure quality of academic assessment confirming academic programs have learning outcomes and consistency of learning outcomes across delivery models;
- Formulate and oversee operating budgets for the academic and student service units in order to achieve and sustain successful operations while demonstrating effective leadership;
- Develop programs and/or systems to build, promote and/or increase student success and retention;
- Develop and approve academic and student service department goals and objectives and builds on strategic plan;
- Initiate and implement effective mechanisms for faculty participation in academic decision making;
- Direct and establish priorities and plans for faculty recruitment, development and retention;
- Provide and build framework for sustainable growth.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
The above functions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this job. This is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Position based in: San Diego, CA
Reports to: USU Campus President
Supervises: Academic team, faculty and staff
Education & Experience
- Doctorate in Business or Education Leadership or equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum 10 years of professional academic experience administration and teaching.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to successfully communicate and interact with regulatory officials at all levels, regional and national accrediting and licensing bodies.
- Proven record of effective planning and decision making in assessment, curriculum and problem solving in a higher education environment.
- Track record of successful organizational leadership, experience with accreditation and curriculum development.
- Demonstrated commitment to online education and other alternative delivery methods/scheduling to meet the needs of today’s non-traditional student.
- Ability to plan, develop, and implement growth strategies and academic development at various degree levels that takes into consideration market-driven opportunities in the areas of job and career growth for non-traditional students.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in administrative and leadership capacities in a college or university.
- Ability to work in fast-paced collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in organizational change and development required due to rapid growth.
- Ability to work with others to insure appropriate strategies are developed to meet the University needs.
- Demonstrated commitment to transparent leadership, shared governance and amicable conflict resolution.
- Experience with student academic support programs, instruction and information technology, developing programs to attract new student populations and other revenue streams.
The essential functions of the job are usually performed in an environmentally controlled facility where the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This position may involve working in a combination of office and classroom environments.
While performing the job duties, the employee is regularly required to sit; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee may sometimes be required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment and physical demands described are representative of those required of an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
United States University is a regionally accredited, student-centered university that empowers every student to succeed. Our campus is located in San Diego, California. It offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in health sciences, business, and nursing as well as California Teaching Credentials. We offer an accessible, nurturing and student-focused educational experience — regardless of circumstance — to anyone who desires progress in their personal or professional lives. Our diverse faculty forge personal relationships with students, mentoring them throughout their entire educational journey. With small class sizes, 24/7 access and support, and scholarship opportunities, USU is an inclusive community of learning dedicated to the personal and professional growth of our students and graduates.
All responsibilities are performed in an ethical manner consistent with the University’s mission:
United States University provides professional and personal educational opportunities, with a special outreach to underserved groups. Through campus and online courses, the University offers affordable, relevant and accessible undergraduate and graduate degree programs and certificates in a supportive student-centered learning environment.
To apply, please contact Barbara Gorkis – firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are located at 7675 Mission Valley Road, San Diego, CA 92108