Statement of Shared Governance
United States University is committed to shared governance and believes it to be a fundamental ingredient of a healthy academic institution and an essential right and responsibility of a scholarly community. United States University agrees with the American Association of University Professors’ recognition that shared governance allows United States University to benefit from the accumulated wisdom and
knowledge of its Faculty and provides a structure that includes an elected Faculty governance body, the Faculty Senate, through which Faculty and administrators work together to promote United States University’s mission.
Therefore, United States University is committed to support:
- the faculty’s fundamental role in making academic decisions,
- the protection of legitimate faculty aspirations,
- the existence of clear and varied channels of communication that are understood by all
- the implementation and preservation of academic standards and
- the promotion of the welfare of the students.
United States University is a complex entity, and the tasks of governance must be apportioned and delegated within the structures approved by the Board of Trustees, The interdependence and cooperation of administration, faculty and the board of Trustees are essential to legitimate and effective governance.