USU believes that shared governance is a fundamental ingredient of a healthy academic institution– and an essential right and responsibility of a scholarly community. The USU faculty provides a structure that includes an elected faculty governance body – the Faculty Senate – through which faculty and administrators work together to implement USU’s mission.
United States University is a complex entity. The tasks of governance must be apportioned and delegated within the structures approved by the Board of Trustees. The interdependence and cooperation of the administration, faculty and the Board of Trustees are essential to legitimate and effective governance.
- The faculty’s fundamental role in making academic decisions.
- The protection of legitimate faculty aspirations.
- The existence of clear and varied channels of communication that are understood by all constituents.
- The implementation and preservation of academic standards.
- The promotion of the welfare of the students.